MEET BRAINBOX

6:21 am

 It is the beginning of a new project on this blog. I have decided to take time and interview people who are LIGHT BEARERS in different areas of life. They are people who make a  difference everyday. This interviews will be brought to you to inspire you to be all you have ever dreamt of. No vision or idea is so big. No vision or idea is too small all you need to do is MAKE IT HAPPEN.

       
                               ************************

This interview is a very interesting one, do you want to know why? I met Brain box via Twitter. Well if your not following me, go FOLLOW @Gabbyswit  quickly, i will surely follow back.   He wanted me to feature in his first spoken words video HOW MANY? I helped him with ideas and logistics, but couldn't make the video shoot. *Sad* He is a nice person very talented and you just need to meet with him.



WE HAVE BEEN EAGER TO MEET YOU, SO WHO ARE YOU?

 I am Valentine Onyeka Ogunaka AKA Brainbox, writer and spoken word/rap artist. I am an ambitious youth and I’m in love with art. I like to express myself which is one of the reasons I embrace spoken word--. I have performed at various events across the country and have also collaborated with NGOs on numerous impact projects.


 WOW! SPOKEN WORD ARTIST? WHEN DID IT ALL START? 

I remember that as a teenager in Northern Nigeria, I performed in a church youth program, an Easter Sermon on the Mount picnic. Although, it was a rap battle I still consider it to be my first spoken word performance. But then my incubation stage was earlier. I was 16 when my penchant for wordplay created that enabling atmosphere to write about anything with relative ease. And then reading what I had written to myself  sounded good and promising. So I thought that like in a soliloquy, I can express myself through spoken word.

 In all of it, I started seeing myself as a professional spoken word poet (I made full foray into the art of spoken word) in 2014 when a friend asked me to come perform at her event. I felt nervous at first but I told myself this is just the perfect opportunity, the right time to take this thing to a whole new level.


 NICE! WHAT MAKES YOU DIFFERENT AS AN ARTIST? 

 Interestingly my style is unusual in the Nigerian spoken word scene. Wordplay is just my thing. Listeners have said I have a good rhythmic pattern and that my rhyming skill is incredible. But you see that doesn’t really tickle me because my aim for doing poetry outstrips entertainment. I want to use my voice to affect lives and bring about change so I always write with a message in my heart. Ultimately that’s what inspires me—being an impact poet.


WHAT MOTIVATES YOU ON THIS JOURNEY TO GREATNESS? 

 (Laughs) Robert Frost's 'The road not taken' is a potent drive for me. I often think that spoken word is one art less populated/less saturated/less appreciated at this time. So I believe that my arrival on the scene is a good timing and great opportunity for me to make my mark as the art will take center stage in a few years. Again, after the efforts put by Sage Hassan, who is regarded as the father of spoken word poetry in Nigeria, a new generation of young poets are  embracing the challenge to fuel the renaissance of spoken word which I feel very fortunate to be part of.

SO WHAT DO YOU DO DIFFERENTLY EVERYDAY, TO MAKE YOU STAND OUT? 

 I read and write a lot. I memorize my poems when I'm alone and in my spare time I plan on how to get better. One great way I'm doing that is through my Impact Speaks mentorship program. I have younger people who look up to me and by spending time with them, I don't run out of ideas or inspiration.


 WHAT IS THE GREATEST RISK YOU HAVE EVER TAKEN? 

 I really do not know what the biggest risk I ever took was, yet I consider myself a habitual risk-taker. Probably, the decision to focus on becoming a professional spoken word artist is the biggest gamble because there were other things I was truly passionate about. If I didn't write, I could sing. If I didn't become a medical doctor, a graphic designer among others, I could play football.

WHAT IS THE GREATEST MISTAKE YOU EVER MADE? 

 I can't remember making any. Every mistake became a great lesson the moment I realized it. But there's always a sore point in one's life so the one thing I still regret is not realizing some of my mistakes.



 ARE YOU WORKING ON ANY PROJECT PRESENTLY? 

 Yes. I just released my debut spoken word video titled 'How Many'. It's the first piece from a newly launched project 'Impact Speaks' which I intend to use to define my niche as a poet.

 SO ANY WORD FOR PEOPLE OUT THERE STRUGGLING TO LIVE THEIR DREAMS? 

 Dreams come true but because life is a constant battle, you must be a ready fighter to win. Sometimes you want to surrender but keep in mind that it's never easy for anyone.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME. KEEP BEING A LIGHT BEARER.

To watch his 'How Many' video click  below
 HOW MANY

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I enjoyed the interview with Brain Box, it brings to light the level of talents around us and the fear of failure has kept many bound not to try at all. Thanks Gabby for this post. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am glad you enjoyed it so much, yes! He didn't allow fear hold him down he was so determined to make it happen...

      Delete
  2. Lovely interview, i love hearing about inspirational stories of young people making a different in this generation that gives us no opportunity,keep it up brain box because the sky is only your starting point and to ify, am really proud to have you as a friend and sister,i see you doing more great things in the near future. Thanks for the post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Thank you so much for the encouragement.. Really you are right when you said that the society gives us no opportunity. We need to create them for ourselves. We need to stop waiting for the doors to open for us, we create doors and we knock on them..

      Delete
  3. Gabby, when I said you are destined for greatness with the kind of ideas you prop up, I mean every word of what I say...Keep the fire burning dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much thats all i can say. Thanks for your encouragements and support..

    ReplyDelete

SAY SOMETHING!!!

Email me @ gabbyspeks@gmail.com
FOLLOW ON INSTAGRAM @Gabby_speaks
FOLLOW ONTWITTER @GABBYSWIT
LIKE OUR FACEBOOK PAGEGABBY SPEAKS

Popular Posts